Jarrow Women’s Probiotic has emerged as a prominent player in the world of probiotic supplements designed specifically for women. The unique formulation is tailored to support women’s health and overall well-being. In this review, we will explore the key facts and features that make Jarrow Women’s Probiotic a noteworthy choice for those seeking optimal gut health.
You May Also Like:
Jarrow Women’s Probiotic: A Review of the Facts About This Leading Probiotic Product is an original (HerHealthWatch) article.
The benefits of probiotics and prebiotics for health
“Probiotics are foods or supplements that contain live microorganisms intended to maintain or improve the ‘good’ bacteria (normal microflora) in the body,” advises the Mayo Clinic. These naturally occurring microorganisms—the microbiome—are considered beneficial by keeping ‘bad’ bacteria and fungi under control, notes Very Well Health.
Probiotics and prebiotics are available as dietary supplements and are popularly taken to improve digestive, urinary, abdominal, and immune system health; for women, certain probiotics may also support vaginal and reproductive health.
Jarrow women’s probiotic:
A leading dietary supplement
Since 1977, Jarrow Formulas® has pursued a mission of designing superior dietary supplements that help empower individuals to take charge of their own health. Founder Jarrow L. Rogovin believed “Well-crafted dietary supplement formulations, based on sound scientific research data, had the potential to promote optimal health.” Today, Jarrow Formulas offers a spectrum of nutritional formulations, many of which were firsts in the dietary supplement industry: “Our staff of scientists are involved in clinical studies and work with researchers from universities and institutes around the world. Jarrow Formulas strives to provide the best service and technical information to consumers.”
Jarrow women’s probiotic is a result of this research and testing. The brand, Fem Dophilus Advanced, is a blend of 6 science-backed strains, containing 10 billion CFU (colony-forming units; the amount of live beneficial bacteria in each daily capsule).
The brand provides benefits specific to women’s needs with the most prevalent Lactobacillus strains clinically proven effective in helping to restore a healthy balance of vaginal flora, and lower pH with these 6 live culture strains: Lactobacillus crispatus, L. gasseri, L. jensenii, L. plantarum, L. rhamnosus, plus Bifidobacterium lactis.
In addition, Jarrow women’s probiotic addresses common health concerns to deliver 4-in-1 benefits in a single capsule per day:
- Aids in urinary tract health.
- Promotes digestive health and supports regularity.
- Helps relieve or prevent occasional abdominal discomfort.
- Supports a healthy immune system response.
Jarrow women’s probiotic is available in refrigerated or shelf-stable versions. All Jarrow Formula probiotics are non-GMO, vegan, and gluten-free.
The FDA does not evaluate or test dietary supplements, so it’s important to know if the probiotics are accurately labeled. You want to be confident knowing the strains of cultures, the amount of live beneficial bacteria (CFU), and how the ingredients are prepared and packaged:
- Jarrow women’s probiotic ensures “Minimum 10 billion viable cells per capsule at time of consumption, under recommended storage conditions and within Best Used Before date.” Jarrow lists strain identifications of every formulation for transparency.
- It is reassuring to know that Jarrow women’s probiotic has been recognized for its quality, reliability, and customer satisfaction: Consumerlab.com rated Jarrow Formulas probiotics “#1 in Customer Satisfaction” in 2019 and 2021. Forbes named Jarrow Formulas Fem Dophilus Advanced “Best Probiotic Supplement of 2023.”
myPEAK offers an alternative
Jarrow women’s probiotic catches attention as exclusive to females. However, we have found an alternative standout probiotic, PeakBiotic from myPEAK, a developer of effective health supplements. PeakBiotic is for both women and men.
Dr. Bhargav Patel, CEO and Chief Scientific Officer, expresses myPEAK’s mission: “It’s about optimizing human performance using everything the best science, nutrition, and wisdom across the world has to offer; we know you are meant to live at your peak—our mission is to help you get there with the best science-based blends!”
Every blend is scientifically dosed, physician-formulated, and based on leading-edge science and innovation. All myPEAK products are lab-tested, cGMP certified, and manufactured in the USA with clinically proven ingredients in an FDA-registered facility.
A more concentrated and comprehensive probiotic
myPEAK PeakBiotic is a multi-benefit, concentrated probiotic that combines a comprehensive health formula in the simplicity of one pill a day, with more of what you might hope for in a probiotic:
- A potent 14-strain probiotic blend, loaded with 50 billion carefully selected colony-forming units in each daily capsule. These cultures serve a multifactorial role, supporting gut and gut lining health to reduce intestinal permeability; improving immune, brain, heart, skin, prostate, and urinary health; and for women, improving vaginal and reproductive health.
- 14 live culture strains: Bifidobacterium bifidum, B. breve, B. infantis, B. lactis, B. longum, Lactobacillus acidophilus, L. casei, L. fermentum, L. gasseri L. paracasei, L. plantarum, L. reuteri, L. rhamnosus, L. salivarius, and Streptococcus thermophilus.
(Note that only two of Jarrow’s Fem Dophilus Advanced strains [Lactobacillus crispatus, L. jensenii] are not included among PeakBiotic’s 14 strains.)
PeakBiotic contains additional beneficial ingredients, including prebiotics and postbiotics, which help remove the “Waste left behind after your body digests both prebiotics and probiotics” (Harvard Health):
- Quercetin, an antioxidant, flavanol, and polyphenol that promotes healthy aging, gut diversity, and skin health.
- L-glutamine, an amino acid, reduces gut permeability and leaky gut by supporting intestinal lining strength.
- Pomegranate and artichoke leaf extracts, containing potent polyphenols, antioxidants, and gut-nourishing nutrients to support intestinal bacterial diversity.
- Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) helps turn food into fuel for the body.
- Fructooligosaccharides nourish the gut and enhance mineral absorption; BioPerine® is a clinically proven enhancer of bioavailability.
Two exceptional probiotics for your selection
Jarrow women’s probiotic—Fem Dophilus Advanced—provides vaginal, urinary, digestive, and immune support benefits; myPEAK PeakBiotic is formulated to support these particular needs in a unisex formulation. In comparing the two brands, certain differences and advantages emerge:
myPEAK PeakBiotic offers a superior concentration and diversity of probiotics:
- 50 billion colony-forming units per daily capsule, compared to 10 billion for Fem Dophilus Advanced.
- 14 strains of bacterial culture for PeakBiotic, while Fem Dophilus Advanced has only six strains, implying that PeakBiotic provides a potentially broader diversity of health benefits.
- Additional actives in PeakBiotic, including prebiotics and postbiotics.
myPEAK PeakBiotic costs less on a daily basis:
- Jarrow Fem-Dophilus Advanced: A 30-capsule, 1-month supply costs from $29.99 to $34.99, or from $1.00 to $1.17 per day.
- myPEAK PeakBiotic: A 60-capsule, 2-month supply costs $42.00, or 70¢ per day.
Availability for purchase
Jarrow provides links to several retailers; myPEAK offers online ordering and retail options:
- Jarrow’s women’s probiotic may be found at Sprouts, VitaCost, Instacart, or by using the store locator for a retailer near you.
- PeakBiotic can be ordered online from myPEAK, Amazon, and Walmart, and is available for purchase at select physician, chiropractic, and nutrition clinics; holistic health centers; and health food stores.
Both brands are non-GMO, vegan, and gluten-free; contain carefully screened ingredients; and are produced under stringent supervision. Both are shelf-stable; Jarrow women’s probiotic also offers a refrigerated version.
Side effects are rare, and most healthy adults can safely add probiotics to their diets (Mayo Clinic) But it’s best to check with your healthcare professional before using probiotic supplements if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
Further Reading for Additional Knowledge
Cleveland Clinic: “How to Pick the Best Probiotic”
Mayo Clinic: “What are Probiotics and Prebiotics?”
Important Note: The information contained in this article is for general informational purposes only, and should not be construed as health or medical advice, nor is it intended to diagnose, prevent, treat, or cure any disease or health condition. Before embarking on any diet, fitness regimen, or program of nutritional supplementation, it is advisable to consult your healthcare professional in order to determine its safety and probable efficacy in terms of your individual state of health.
Regarding Nutritional Supplements or Other Non-Prescription Health Products: If any nutritional supplements or other non-prescription health products are mentioned in the foregoing article, any claims or statements made about them have not been evaluated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and such nutritional supplements or other health products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.